Friday, June 13, 2008

Homo Domesticus

It's been a quiet week, this first week of my holidays, and the photo of Sabina with her menagerie of soft toys sums up the domestic tranquility of it all. The murderers, psychopaths and robbers are still out there of course but hopefully that is where they'll stay. Next week, we head off to Medan and Lake Toba for a week or more and I'll probably leave my laptop behind and bring some physical books to read.

It's been two years since our last visit to the Lake and back then there was limited Internet access (via my mobile phone's GPRS) but I'm just as happy to leave it all behind me for a week or so. I spend everyday at one computer or another so it's probably healthy to have a respite so I'll declare Lake Toba a technology-free zone for me personally. There's not even a TV set in the hotel rooms where we normally stay and that's certainly not missed. The only thing I can't do without is The Jakarta Post. I have an entrenched habit of reading the paper at breakfast time and I'm out-of-sorts when it's late or doesn't arrive on public holidays.

With our newly acquired camcorder, I will be taking plenty of video footage and of course I'll have my digital camera to take lots of photographs. In that sense, I won't be completely free of technology. It would be interesting, one day perhaps, to go with only a sketchpad and pencils. I have done some sketching over the years, although I discovered early on that I had little aptitude or patience for oil painting or watercolours.

No comments: