Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Interment

February 7, 1969

Beloved Baba’s beautiful Form was interred in the crypt, which is now His Samadhi. It happened to be His birthday according to the Parsi calendar.

I just happened to see this as a footnote in the daily email I receive from the Meher Baba Bombay Centre. So 55 years ago, Baba's crypt was sealed. Of course I was oblivious of this and instead was drifting aimlessly. I continue to drift for another year until I hit a rock in the form of national service in April of  1969.

However, I had heard of Meher Baba by this point in my life, having attended a talk given by Bill Le Page at the University of Queensland in 1968. It made no impression on me at the time except it did seem to cement His name into my memory because more than a decade later I recognised the author of "God Speaks" as the person about whom the talk had been given all those years ago.

It wouldn't be until almost 30 years later that I'd finally get to stand in front of the crypt but I did get there eventually. It just took a while. I was nearing 50 back then and now I'm nearly 75. I'd accepted Baba when I was a little younger however, when I was 44 back in 1993. At that time, the penny just dropped after "God Speaks" finally made sense to me.

No comments: