Thursday, October 04, 2007

Frantic Facebook


I joined up with the social networking site Facebook some time ago but didn't really make any use of it. Recently however, some of my current students discovered that I had a Facebook account and invited me to be their friend. Since then further invitations have been coming in a steady stream and I've already connected to several of my former students, who are now studying in Australia and the United States. Of course, each new person whom you accept as a friend has his or her own circle of friends (whose details you can see) and you suddenly find that you are part of a very large network of people, all connected via Facebook.

The activity on this site can only be described as frantic and until you become an active part of it, you don't realise the magnitude of what is going on. I'm vaguely nervous about the possibility that I might be the oldest member of Facebook, because my experience so far indicates that the average age is about 20. Of course, I've been talking about social networking sites in my IT class for quite some time but my current practical experience is giving me a much deeper insight into the way they work and the speed at which they work. I also had largely inactive MySpace and Friendster accounts but I've just recently deleted them, having realised that one social networking site is quite enough for a slow poke like me. I'm sure the 20-somethings are juggling multiple social networking sites simultaneously while they chat and play online games but I'm not up to that.

No comments: