Saturday, November 07, 2009

Old Men on a Bench


Ventured out this morning for a cup of coffee and thought I'd try the newly opened branch of the 85°C cafe/bakery chain. I bought a hot Americano coffee and two pastries. Initially I only intended to buy one pastry but, on second thoughts, I decided on two (one for now and one for later, at home). There is a wide pavement outside the shop and a circular bench on which to sit and watch the passing parade. I sat down next to a little old man who was clearly down on his luck.

I took my pastry out and shortly afterwards handed the other one to him for which he was instantly grateful. He didn't say anything but his face lit up. I think he put it away for later consumption; before long he gathered up some plastic bags he was carrying and stood up, gracing me once again before he left with a nod and a wordless smile. He wandered off, accosting passing strangers for coin money by holding out a plastic cup.

Prior to this I'd been feeling a little sorry for myself, living alone and unloved in Shanghai. The little old man and I were similar, probably, in that respect but I had the comfort of a warm, modern apartment, plenty of food and other advantages. I was grateful that I'd had the opportunity to spontaneously offer him some food rather than just drop a coin in his cup and my reward was that I felt more appreciative of how comparatively well off I really was.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

That was very nice of you to offer the old man a tasty pastry.

I hope you soon make some friends there so that you will no longer feel unloved. That is a depressing feeling that I know a little bit about.