Friday, December 22, 2006

The Dimming of the Lights

The last time that I stayed in this fine establishment (almost exactly one year ago), I injudiciously covered the lamp, that you can see at the side of the bed, with a towel. I then went to sleep but I awoke to the screaming of a smoke alarm that had been set off by the smoke generated from the slow incineration of my towel. 

The only visible reminders of my near-death-experience were the very warped lamp and a towel with a hole in it. I disposed of the dead towel in my brother's garbage bin but the warped lamp remained. Even though I admitted to the accident and I wasn't chastised or fined at the time, it would seem that I am only now being penalised. 

If you look at the photo on this post, you will see that this time around we have been given only one lamp. One for Desy, none for me. Worse still, it is on the wrong side of the bed. That is Desy's side and if I want to read in bed, the normal order of things has to be overturned. Even worse, I managed to knock the lamp over last night. It seemed as if no harm had been done at the time but this evening, the bulb gave out and so there is no lamplight tonight.

Tomorrow, I'll buy a new bulb to replace the dead one. I don't have the courage to face the manager, Elizabeth, and ask for a new bulb. I know what she'll be thinking: what is it about you and lamps? I just seem to be accident-prone in the current accommodation. Remarkably, I've managed to create a web album of photos taken since arriving. The address is www.picasaweb.google.com/reeves.sean. Have a look.

No comments: