Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Return to Oz

After a seemingly interminable plane journey from Denpasar to Sydney and onwards to Brisbane, Desy and I finally arrived at our destination. There is a broadband Internet connection in the place where we are staying and thus I am able to post this blog entry. The speed is blindingly fast compared to what I'm familiar with in Jakarta. 

Last night, my Norton Antivirus wanted to download over 6Mb of updates and I hesitantly agreed (not wanting to tie up the connection for other people). I needn't have worried, the download took no more than a few seconds. In Jakarta, the same download would have taken several minutes. 

I noticed later, when I was shutting down, that Windows also had 31 updates to install. These updates had been downloaded, unbeknown to me, while I was accessing the Internet. I know realise that there is broadband and that there is BROADband. The reason for all these updates of course is that I now have a brand new laptop: a Toshiba Satellite to replace my poor old ECS laptop that died a few days earlier. More postings from Down Under shortly.

No comments: