Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A New Earth

I've started reading "A New Earth" and have also been downloading video clips from YouTube featuring discussion of the book's contents by Oprah Winfrey and its author, Eckhart Tolle. I'd never associated Oprah with spirituality and yet here she is, adding his book to her book club and hosting a so-called online spirituality university. It prompted me to read her biography in Wikipedia. She is certainly a remarkable success story and, by some accounts, the most influential woman on the planet at the current time. With the United States teetering on the brink of economic collapse, the message that Tolle is trying to get across is certainly timely and is reaching more ears and eyes than would have been conceivable without Oprah's support.

Let's hope that the collective transformation in consciousness that Tolle says is needed to save the planet does gather pace. Predictably, YouTube is full of videos by Christians from within the USA denouncing Oprah for turning her back on Jesus Christ and promoting somebody whom they see as a New Age guru. To them , "one way with Jesus" means there is no other way except their way. As he says in his book, "some religious institutions will be open to the new consciousness; some will harden their doctrinal positions". Realistically however, he states that "the new spirituality, the transformation of consciousness, is arising to a large extent outside the structures of the existing institualized religions".

Be that as it may, it is up to each person to bring about the change in herself or himself. So what happened today that reduced my identification with the physical form known as Sean Reeves and his accompanying thought and emotional forms? I certainly didn't face any challenges because I spent the entire day at home and didn't venture out at all. I was free to read my book, meditate in air-conditioned comfort or sit out in the garden for short periods to take in the rustle of the breeze, the sound of birdsong and the sights of colourful flowers and fruits. While in the garden, I experienced very briefly an intense immersion in the moment as I looked at some yellow flowers against the backdrop of the blue sky. That was something.

Last night, I had a dream in which I was walking through a crowded cafeteria and my way through was blocked by tables and chairs. I tried to get through one way and was blocked so I backtracked and tried another way, only to be blocked again. In frustration, I kicked over a chair and immediately felt ashamed of myself because I'd allowed myself to be taken over by a negative emotion. I rarely if ever have dreams like that and so the dream is perhaps a positive sign. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my distance from the pressures of the outside world. Those pressures will return soon enough but I don't think I can ever go back to the way I was.

As I look back and see how I was caught up in the stream of my thoughts and emotions, it seems like that stream has emptied into the ocean and now I'm bobbing about on its surface. I'm not being swept along anymore and I can try to dive down into its depths if I want to and experience whatever is down there. On that note, I'll finish with a quote from Meher Baba:

Every being is a point from which a start could be made toward the Limitless Ocean of love, bliss, knowledge and goodness already within him. No spiritual Master brings religion to the world in the form it eventually assumes. His very presence is a blessing and radiates spirituality. He imparts it to others by personal contact. The so-called religions are an effort to commemorate that association with a great spiritual Master, and to preserve his atmosphere and influence. It is like an archeological department trying to preserve things which only resuscitate the past. The living spirit being absent, religions or organizations gradually lose their glamour. The result is a mental revolt against the established order. Something more substantial and practical is required which expresses the life of the spirit.



That I guess is where we are at now. Each one of us needs to initiate "a mental revolt against the established order" which means overthrowing identification with mind and emotions, and doing something "substantial and practical which expresses the life of the spirit".

No comments: