Friday, September 19, 2008

The Sound of the Sky

The 21st century with its Internet-connected computers, mobile phones with direct uploads to YouTube, HDTVs, Internet radio, online newspapers etc. stirs my monkey mind to a frenzy at times. Taking the dog for a walk is a way of physically disconnecting from these technological temptations and provides an opportunity to "listen to the sound of the sky". The problem is that the monkey mind comes along for the walk as well.

I try to be as present as I possible, watching and listening to the sights and sounds as they arise. The dog is totally present and taking in the sights, sounds and especially smells. During the walk and following several eruptions of the monkey mind, I made a conscious effort to exercise my olefactory senses. However, "they ain't got no noses those fallen sons of Eve and all I could smell was the smoke from the burning-off in the nearby kampung (or village). Overall, I probably have only a few seconds of being in the now on these walks and the rest of time I am wandering mentally in the past or the future.

However, I'm catching myself earlier so that the lapses are becoming shorter and maybe the moments of mental stillness will grow longer, but it's hard. I'm addicted to thinking and have been all my life. Toward the end of these walks, the focus on my body increases as my muscles and joints tire and this is helpful in reducing the mental static. Bringing attention back to the body by concentrating of the sensory input is probably the best way of quieting the mind during these walks.


No comments: