Friday, July 10, 2009

Reflections on Silence Day

Silence Day (see earlier post) is nearly over and it's been an interesting experience. However, I have not succeeded in remaining totally silent, there have been several minor lapses. For example, the dog was scratching at the door of the study and so I said hello to her as I let her in. Later in the day, when I was dozing in a chair, my granddaughter who was playing in my study asked me a question and I instinctively answered it. Maybe next year, I'll succeed fully.

Desy suggested during a totally one-sided conversion at meal time that after I retire from teaching, I should consider maintaining permanent silence like Meher Baba himself. She quite liked my inability to readily complain or criticize or pontificate. Six year old Sabina had no problem with my silence either, she played in the study most of the day and was quite happy to talk away while I was limited to responding with facial gestures. I did use a pen and paper for communication on a couple of occasions. I did not venture out of the house at all figuring the chances of slipping up would be greatly magnified if I were to go to a mall.

In the morning it felt novel to be maintaining silence but as the day has gone on it's not been all that pleasant. I haven't been able to meditate at all and have felt rather restless and unable to read or focus on anything very much. I've ended up watching some television for the first time in quite a while just to pass the time. I have the feeling that I'm just waiting for midnight when I can break my silence and resume a normal life. Overall I feel satisfied that I did the best I could and my lapses were to expected I guess.


No comments: