Saturday, March 10, 2007

Everybody wants to be a dog


The writing is very small in the photograph above but it says "Everybody wants to be a dog" and it's one of a number of photographs that I found on a blog professing to display the 100 best advertisements of all time. It shows a terrapin knocking on a door wanting to be taken for a walk. Just struck me as funny because our household has both terrapins and a dog. I don't know what the product is that's being advertised.

For many years, in fact until quite recently, I'd not had much contact with animals. I'd long ago given up eating any of them but I wasn't close to any sort of animal. In fact, it occurred to me about a year ago that I'd become quite estranged from them really. It was just an observation and I didn't do anything about it. As she's grown up however, Sabina has been intensely interested in all the animals that she has come across and I've started to see the animal world again through her eyes.

It was her insistence on buying terrapins and a dog that led to their current incorporation into the household. Every weekend, Sabina helps me to clean out the terrapin tank and shampoo the dog. She very much wants to be involved in every aspect of their care. Her success in acquiring terrapins and a dog has of course emboldened her and she is currently very insistent that we acquire a horse.

There are small horses that she often rides beside the supermarket where we shop and so she is constantly reminded of their existence. Her persistence will be to no avail however, because our backyard is too small. If we acquired the block of land next to our house on the other hand, we could ... no, that's silly thinking.

Here's a photo that was taken of her on a horse. She has added some special effects that are available with her mother's camera phone software. Nobody else really knows how to add these special effects but Sabina is quite competent is accessing all of the phone's features, including music and video.

No comments: